Civil Rights

Civil rights violations cover many situations, most relate to employment issues.

A civil rights complaint may be filed with the Michigan Department of Civil Rights (MDCR) if the alleged act of discrimination occurred within the past 180 days. When a complaint alleging a violation of civil rights protected by state law or the Constitution is processed by MDCR, mediation may be recommended. Citizens Mediation Service is an approved provider of such mediation. While civil rights violations can cover many situations, most complaints that come through MDCR relate to employment issues. The following link provides more information about how to file a civil rights complaint and the process used to investigate and resolve the issues.

Complaint Investigation Process (Brochure), Michigan Office of Civil Rights

Fee Schedule:
This is a FREE service

Other Fee Information:
– The CMS Board of Directors reserves the right to change fees at any time.
– The Executive Director reserves the right to adjust fees under special circumstances. Any such change will be documented in the CMS data base as well as the case file.

  • Effective March 20, 2018